- 1520 - Stockholm Bloodbath begins: A successful invasion of Sweden by Danish forces results in the execution of around 100 people.
- 1793 - In Paris, the French Revolutionary government opens the Louvre to the public as a museum.
- 1973 - The right ear of John Paul Getty III is delivered to a newspaper together with a ransom note, convincing his father to pay 2.9 million USD.
Two Important Birthdays and one death:
- Birth - 1927 - Patti Page, American singer
- Birth - 1723 - John Byron, British naval officer (d. 1786)
- Death - 1674 - John Milton, English poet (b. 1608)
One Holiday or Observance: