Sunday, September 10, 2006

Latest Happenings

I know, I know - I don't keep up on my blog as much as everyone else. I often have a hard time writing off the cuff so think I don't have much to say. Also, I have been trying to download some pictures and getting frustrated with how long it takes and so gave up. I don'thave that kind of time. I spend most evening sitting at the computer planning and preparing for my classroom. Iknow, I know - I guess I had better get a life!

Anyway, Don and I went to Jenn and Kevin's for dinner last night. I so enjoyed spending time with them and seeing their new home. Lovely! I was thinking on my way home that I wish family wasn't spread out so much so we could see each other more. It was so much nicer when we lived in teh same city and say each other at church. I know, I know - that's poart of growing up and getting your own life. It's great that we all have jobs we are passionate about and wonderful families, but I just miss y'all!

I was at the National program last weekend and thought, "Boy does life ever fly by?" I saw Prof Curnow and realized it has been over 25 years. Wow! You know you are getting older when...it feels like yesterday that you went to music camp and remember most details like they just happened.

By the way, at the National program there was a video with Jason in it. He was wearing his army fatigues and getting shot over and over again. The situation was humourous and the national students cheered at this, but if Jenn, Kevin, Alyson, or Jason could explain it to me, I would appreciate it (do you "get" it?). I don't really get it - am I missing something?

5 comments:

Jenn said...

nope, can't say that i get it at all. although i would love the chance to fire a paintball gun at jason at will.

Jenn said...

since kevin can't post, this is from him:

i can, it's because jason likes it rough

Evie said...

About uploading your pictures:

1.What kind of internet connection do you have? If you don't have a high-speed connection (DSL, T-1, etc.), then the image size is extremely important. Large files take forever to upload with slow connections. That brings me to the next question. . .

2. What size images are you trying to upload? I assume you're working from a digitally scanned film image. You can use your photo editor to reduce it's size so that it will upload faster. Some programs call this "re-sizing."

Important point here: save your modified file under a different name! You don't want to permanently alter your original image!

Web images don't need to be very high resolution - many people post at 96 dpi (or ppi - same thing). This is a much lower resolution than you need to print an image. So, the first thing you can change is the resolution.

Next, your display size can be pretty small. The ones I post are usually around 400x600 pixels or so. The blogger program will display them at a slightly smaller size. If someone wants to see the full-size photo they can click on it and a separate page with just the photo will open up. This will display at the full 400x600 (or whatever) pixels.

Hope this information helps. By the way, I use a nice little freeware program called Irfanview to re-size my photos for the web. If you need any more information about the mechanics of re-sizing or about software, email me through one of the links on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Basically, he'll do anything for the camera!

Dave said...

I hate those moments when you realize that it has not been just a year or two since you saw someone but a decade.