Monday, July 02, 2007

It's Me Again - I'm Here!

I finally have a few moments to blog. Flew out to Calgary on Saturday. The flight went okay. I don't like flying alone - I like having company. The seat beside me was empty so it wasn't so bad. I liked watching the airplane on the map to see our progress. I ate pretzels and watched some TV. Travel certainly is becoming more luxurious!

I couldn't believe that I was able to get a flight out for $149 ($200 when taxes etc. are counted in). On the way back it is costing me $350! So much for a cheaper trip!

After touching down Joanne was there to greet me. It was great to see a familiar face in an unfamiliar place. We stopped by Stephen's with a Dairy Queen ice cream cake to say hello and see what is left of his family. Nathan, Kathryn and Stephen - Gayle and the rest of the girls are away on some singing thing. I love being with family. It's too bad that I have to take an airplane to see them. I would much rather take a car so it can happen more often.

Yesterday Joanne and I went to a small town (forget the name) to see a bomber museum and go through some antique stores. I bought two school books from 1909 and 1912. Joanne started reading a poem and I laughed since I do that same poem with my children in grade 2! We saw a lot of books that we read when we were younger and they were newer at the time. I sure felt old! In my class a few years ago we were talking about "many years ago in the pioneer days" and one of the kids said, "You mean in the black and white days?" It made me laugh because I was brought up in the black and white days! I guess age is a relative thing because I still feel like that little girl sometimes.

The bomber museum was cool. I liked seeing the war from such a Canadian perspective, especially the display about the Great Escape.

Tomorrow I think we are going to Drumheller - the dinosaur place. I can't wait. So until next time, toodles!

3 comments:

Evie said...

Enjoy your visit. There's lots to see and do out there.

Jenn said...

holy cheap flight!!!!

Stephen said...

It's great to have you here, Cathy. I had to laugh when you wrote that you don't like to fly alone and then commented about having an empty seat beside you - making the trip not "so bad."