Saturday, July 12, 2008


Well, I am home. Unfortunately I have come home early. Due to severe rain on the way, car noises, and sleeping alone at night I decided to head home early. I did not go the Chutes and through Manitoulin Island. I debated and debated about it but considering being alone I think I made a good decision. It would have been great to see the island in the summer but it was not meant to be. I had to try to get something of a vacation.

Here are the camping experiences I did have, though...

My first two days were spent at Awenda Provincial Park. I did some hiking and toured Saint Marie Among the Hurons. I have included just my camping pictures here, though. The trees were covered in fuzzy caterpillars (ew!), I was paid a visit by a raccoon and it rained heavily my second night so packing up the next morning was not fun! The raccoon was very brazen. He walked right up to me while I was sitting at the camp fire. His visit put me off my sleep the first night! Here is my campsite, my fire and a picture of the beach during my hike. Georgian Bay is sooo beautiful.

My second camp ground was Killbear Provincial Park. Again, I stayed two nights. My camp site was on Georgian Bay so I have included a picture of my view. Spectacular! I will definitely return to this park. My only misgiving was the thought of bears while I was sleeping. Needless to say, what sleep?!

Oh, did I say that I set up in a rush because of the threat of more rain?!

The chipmunks were very friendly and I did the Thirty-Thousand Islands cruise. I can't say it enough - spectacular. I would have a cottage here in a heart beat!

The wind really picked up and the night temperature was around 12 degrees. With the dampness I was cold sleeping that night. The following day on my way to the next campground I bought another sleeping bag.

My last camp ground was Grundy Lake Provincial Park. I set up my campsite in the rain, again! My first night was a little boring since all I could do was set up and go for little walks in between the raindrops. I sat and read in the car that first night - too wet for a fire. I was visited at night by a growling, snorting animal that chased another animal. Don't ask me to tell you what it was since I was too afraid to check. It was either a bear or a big raccoon. Needless to say, again, I did not get a lot of sleep.

The next day the sun was shining so I spent the day hiking,reading and sketching. What a lovely day. My campsite was right on a lake and there were three loons on the lake. Another breath-taking view. My last night the wind picked up again and threatened rain. In the morning I got up early to quickly pack. I packed just in time for the rain did indeed roll in. I headed home rather than go any further. Setting up in rain and looking at the upcoming possible taking down in rain did not thrill me.
Overall, I had a lovely time. I always enjoy camping and sleeping in a tent, although I would have been more comfortable with having some company at night. I learned a valuable lesson - I can set up a campsite and manage all by myself but I would be a much happier camper having company to sleep with at night. Too many noises in bear country doesn't sit well with my imagination. Rain and an active imagination did me in!


Evie said...

I'm glad your trip was sorta good. Rain really messes up a tenting trip though. Well, rain messes up trailer and RV trips too, but not as badly as tents.

Northern Ontario is gorgeous. Thanks for the photos that brought back memories of several of our camping trips.

Jenn said...

still a valiant effort nonetheless!

Dave said...

I am envious. I long to visit those places. Thank you for the pictures.

Barbara said...

The storms that week were really bad! I'm glad you weren't blown away!

That campsite on the water looks heavenly!