Friday, July 04, 2008

Off on a Small Holiday

I am so looking forward to a few days away. I am going camping - alone. It would be best to have someone to share the experience with but the only way I get a few days camping is just to go myself. I am looking forward to it. I am tired of sitting around the house alone and begging people to go on vacation with me. It has been a few years since I have done more than three days of camping. I am also going to travel around Georgian Bay. I hope to take time to relax, take in the scenery, hike, sketch or paint and photograph away!

Here is my itinerary: I am leaving on Sunday, July 6th and then...

1. Two days at Awenda Provincial Park. I hope to visit the Wendat Village (St. Marie Among the Hurons outside of Midland). I haven't been there since I was 7 or 8 years old! I remember visiting Uncle Bert and Aunt Ivy at their cottage. It's interesting how places have emotional attachment.
2. Two days in Killbear Provincial Park in the Parry Sound area. I am thinking of taking the 30,000 Islands Cruise.
3. Two days at Grundy Lake Provincial Park. It will be great to see the French River area.
4. Two days at Chutes Provincial Park.
5. Not sure what is happening next. I thought I would just go with the mood. I might go through Manitoulin Island and take the Chicheewmaun across to Tobermory or drive back the way I came and take my time coming home. I should be home either July 14th or 15th.

I am so looking forward to seeing northern Ontario (the near north) and all that Mother Nature has in store. I am also a little apprehensive since I have never camped alone. I wonder if I will get bored with myself...?

Originally I wanted to go to Cochrane and take the train north to Moosonee (on James Bay) or to travel to the east coast. If all goes well I am thinking of doing this next summer. Bye for now and I hopefully have lots of photos to share when I get back.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Sounds like a great trip. We have been to Kilbear, Grundy and Chutes. We love Grundy for its lakes. We love Grundy for its beach that faces a wonderful waterfall (you can swim right up to the base of the falls).

Evie said...

Correction to Dave's comment: Chutes is the park with the waterfall. Killbear, Grundy and Chutes are all nice parks. I like Manitoulin Island too. It would be nice to get back to that area again sometime.

Jenn said...

wow! all that alone - keep safe :)....totally jealous...

Barbara said...

give me a couple of more years for the boys to be doing their own thing in the summer and then you and I can venture out together!