I know that spring has sprung in my corner of the world when...
1. Just when you think the cold weather is behind us, we get one last blast of winter (will it ever end?).
2. The snow is replaced by rain and more rain and more rain.
3. You sink into a foot of mud.
4. Don comes home from work covered from head to toe in mud (he works in construction).
5. The smell of mud is in the air.
6. The smell of manure drifts across from the farmers' fields.
7. The smell of skunks scared off by neighbourhood dogs.
8. The cat sits at the back door and cries to get out, and out, and out.
9. The cat's fur comes out in clumps instead of a few hairs at a time.
10. Don hides in the basement to avoid the necessary yard work.
11. BBQs are already on sale in the stores.
12. Buying daffodils for cancer research.
13. Watching Blue Jay baseball. Remember the cold spring games at the CNE exhibition stadium and couples making out under blankets?
14. Neighbours coming out of their winter cocoons to socialize with one another.
15. Clean cars - well, no salt cars. They are muddy instead!