Saturday, January 16, 2010

Algonquin in Winter

I was fortunate to be able to spend a few days at Adventure Lodge in Whitney, Ontario. Whitney is a small town just outside the east gate of Algonquin Park. I went with a teacher friend, Sheryl. During the day I hiked and the evenings were spent enjoying a gourmet meal and scrapbooking. In southern Ontario we have very little snow (next to nothing), but up there it is a winter wonderland. It looked like scenes from Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe with the heavy snow hanging off the trees. It lightly snowed each day so there was always a freshness about it. We hiked in Algonquin Park and saw a yurt and, yes, people were camping in the yurt. Maybe someday I will stay in a yurt during the winter. Sounds cold, but if it would be anything like my autumn experience it would be an amazing experience.

I also went horseback riding - something I haven't done for 30 years. With the heavy snow was wonderful. I considered going dog sledding but I was afraid it would be too much work. I thought I would be sitting and just enjoying the ride or standing on the back of the sled and the dogs doing the work. When I found out we would be constantly pushing with the legs I thought I would make it a pass. Maybe I will attempt it next time. Anyway, enjoy the photos!

All I can say is...BLISS...

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: Winter Getaway
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

3 comments:

Barbara said...

beautiful!! It must have been cold on those horses.

Dave said...

A wonderful experience.

Evie said...

Nice photos. It looks like a great place to visit any time of the year.